Facts & Info
What is HIV/AIDS?
• AIDS is a virus caused by HIV. Once you are infected with HIV you have it for life.
• AIDS – Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome
• HIV – Human Immunodeficiency Virus
How do I get it?
• The virus must get into your blood stream to infect you. HIV can live in blood, semen, precum, vaginal secretions and breast milk.
What does it do?
• HIV attacks the immune system and makes it easier for you to get sick.
• After you have had HIV for a while your immune system may become weak and you can get deadly infections and cancers.
How is it transmitted?
• Unprotected sex
• Sharing needles and other drug paraphernalia
• Unsafe tattooing and piercing
• From mother to child during pregnancy or birth
How do I reduce my risk of contracting HIV?
• use a latex or polyurthane condom during sexual activity
• avoid using needles or don’t share needles and other equipment
• talk about HIV and STI’s with your partner
• use sterile equipment for tattooing or piercing and go to a reputable establishment.